The Porta de Santiago is part of a fortress of the A Famosa, built by the Portuguese in 1511. It was damaged by the Dutch during an attack. Timely intervention by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1808 saved the fort from destruction and its gateway still stands today.
The Stadthuys is believed to be the oldest Dutch building in the East. It was built in 1641 to serve as the official residence of the Dutch Governors. The Stadthuys is situated right in the center of Melaka City. It is a fine example of Dutch masonry and woodwork skills. Today, it houses the Melaka Museum, which has a special History Department and a section on Ethnography. Visitors can find excellent artifacts on display such as traditional bridal costumes and authentic relics from Melaka's past. The nearby clock tower and fountain which was dedicated to Queen Victoria in 1904 are popular subjects for photography.
St. John's Fort
St. John's Fort is strategically located atop St. John's Hill, 3 km from the city center. Built by the Dutch in the 18th century, it was once a Portuguese chapel dedicated to John, the Baptist. It is interesting to note that the gun embrasures of the fort face inland and not towards the sea. This was to counter-attacks by the enemy from the hinterland and not from the sea.
St. Paul's Church
Located on a hillock behind the A Famosa, St. Paul's Church was built by Duerte Coelho, a Portuguese captain. After the Dutch conquest of Melaka, the church was converted into a burial ground and renamed St. Paul's Church. The tombstones found here have Latin and Dutch inscriptions. The body of St. Francis Xavier was laid in the open grave here in 1553 before being shipped to Goa, India.
St. Francis Xavier's Church
This church was built by Father Farve, a priest of the French Foreign Mission. Based on Gothic-style architecture, it was built in dedication to St. Francis Xavier also known as Apostle of the East, who spread Catholicism in South East Asia during the 16th century.
St. Peter's Church
This is the only church in Malaysia with a life-size alabaster statue of the Dead Lord Before The Resurrection. The church was built by the Portuguese in 1710 with its architectural style blending to that of Oriental and Occidental.
It is another fine example of Dutch architecture using timber. The exquisite craftsmanship of this church dating back to 1153 is best seen in the hand made pews as well as in the ceiling beams which were constructed without joints.
Hang Tuah's Mausoleum
This place is located at Jalan Klebang. Hang Tuah was Melaka's greatest warrior during the reign of Sultan Mansor Shah. As the commander of Melaka's naval forces, he defended the thriving port from being attacked by the Siamese and Achinese. Hang Tuah's outstanding loyalty and his prowess as a warrior earned him a popular place in the history of Melaka.
Hang Tuah's well is located in Kampong Duyung, the birth place of the legendary warrior where he spent his childhood among four of his good friends who would later become the famous knights of Melaka. Mausoleums have also been erected in memory of two of his comrades, Hang Jebat and Hang Kasturi.
Tun Teja's Mausoleum
This is the gravesite of a noble man's daughter from Pahang who was convinced by Hang Tuah to marry Sultan Mahmud Shah of Melaka. She died a queen in Merlimau about 24 km from Melaka town, while retreating with members of the Melaka royal family from the Portuguese attack in 1511.
Literally meaning 'Chinese Hill', Bukit China is the largest Chinese cemetery outside China with tombs dating back to the Ming Dynasty. This hill was presented to the followers of Hang Li Po, who had been given in marriage by the Emperor of China to the Sultan of Melaka.